The processing time for regular passport service takes 6-8 weeks. If you need to expedite your passport process, there are ways for you to get urgent or emergency service. But you have to provide supporting documents as proof and pay additional fees.
There are three types of expedited service you can request when you apply for passport.
- urgent pick-up: get passports by end of next business day
- express pick-up: get passports in 2-9 business days
- emergency weekend or statutory holiday service
The supporting documents can be:
- an airline, bus or train ticket
- a travel itinerary showing proof of payment
- proof of illness or death in the family requiring you to travel
- a written statement from you or a third party explaining why you need the passport (i.e. for legal, banking or residency requirements)
There are steps for you to expedite urgent passport service.